Friday 8 November 2013

Where Apple Thrive Yahoo Mail Flounder

I've recently had cause to complain to 2 multinational juggernauts and the customer service I received differed wildly.  I have previously blogged about my gripes with Yahoo Mail and Apple but let's just say I am a loyal devotee to both and have been with them a long time (Yahoo, 15 years and Apple, 7).

Love is blind - you know what it's like when your partner picks their toenails whilst you're watching Eastenders or brushes their teeth outside of the bathroom (Grrrr!), it's maddening but you love them so you can forgive them.  Now, my relationship with Yahoo and Apple has survived a few blips along the way.  I've had reason to contact Yahoo Help and haul my hardware into the Genius Bar on a couple of occasions but I've overall been a happy and satisfied customer so these things never bothered me too much, I was willing to forgive.  Recently though, both relationships have hit a rough patch and the resulting reactions had me renewing my vows with one whilst divorcing another.

Let's start with Apple.  I fired an email to Apple HQ about a recent experience I had in one of their stores.  The branch manager soon contacted me by phone and listened to everything I had to say.  He then invited me back into the store so he could have a chance at putting things right.  I went on a Friday lunchtime when the store was busier than Billingsgate Fish Market but I was promptly met by the manager.  He once again extended his apologies for my previous store experience and we had a long, easy conversation about my relationship with Apple.  He listened to me and I soon felt like part of the gang again.  My visit involved three members of staff and each one made me feel like Prince Charles on a Royal Tour.  The manager then bestowed me with a  handsome discount on some much-needed accessories.  I am now very happy, in fact the happiest I have been throughout my whole time as an Apple fan, we are back on track and I've just confidently bought a new MacBook Pro.  I feel like a valued part of the Apple family, we have a two-way conversation and I feel fully supported which is what's needed when you are investing your money in a brand.  Bliss.

Yahoo Mail are a different kettle of fish.  In the last month they have made some unpopular changes to their email interface which has left tens of thousands of their daily users confused and annoyed, including me.  I struggled along with it at first, sometimes it's easier to try and cope with the changes than pursue a complaint through the Yahoo channels but as it began to affect my work I thought it appropriate to flag it up to head office.  I wrote a strongly-worded but charming email to Yahoo HQ, four weeks later and I'm still waiting for a response.  I tweeted Yahoo and have received no reply, I sent a second email - nothing.

I looked at the Yahoo forums and saw a lot of people similarly dismayed with the changes.  A petition had even been created at Change.org.  Phew, it wasn't just me!  So with all this pressure, I just assumed Yahoo would respond quickly, maybe not to me individually but to the tens of thousands of Yahoo users who complained as a whole...  We're still waiting.  There hasn't even been a glimmer of recognition that the complaints have been made, let alone an apology. 

Apple can deal with one man with one problem.  A senior team member took a chunk of his day and spent time with me fixing the blip in our relationship.  My status of Apple fan has been renewed, I am more reassured and happier than ever.  I will stick with Apple and continue to spend my money with them - and bore the pants off everyone else as I constantly sing their praises.  My partner actually got so fed up with me extolling the virtues of Apple this week that he told me to 'shut up and save it for the blog'!

Yahoo are the exact opposite, after a month, they haven't even addressed a complaint signed by 35,000 of their biggest fans.  The Yahoo Mail users motivated to raise and back up complaints are the ones who rely on the product the most, the ones who have stayed most loyal.  Email whores who flit about between providers don't care enough to sign a petition, they just use their other account - the people that are making a noise are the ones who really matter.  You need to look after them, they are the ones who endorse and recommend you, they are fans.  Presenting them with an arrogant wall of silence is not good for business.  The CEO has to be aware of the discontent among 35,000 of her most loyal customers and she hasn't even acknowledged it.  This speaks volumes.  I have just signed out of my Yahoo Mail account for the last time.  Yahoo Mail made me feel unworthy and they have lost me forever.  I had been with them for 15 years, chances are I would have stayed with them for the rest of my life, I was a devotee, an easy person to get back on side and they couldn't be bothered.  Sad times.

I'm still not convinced Yahoo CEO, Marissa Mayer isn't still working for Google and deliberately ruining Yahoo Mail in an attempt to drive people towards Gmail.  It's a conspiracy theory I am happy to create and spread!   In all fairness, it's a lot easier to stomach than accepting she is completely ignoring her most loyal customers.  Anyway, it's not my problem anymore.  Vote with your touchpads, people!  Don't stay where you are not respected!

Apple for life!  RIP Yahoo Mail.


5 comments:

  1. It does feel like losing and old friend through no fault of your own. For many years our routine at the start of each day was logging into yahoo mail. Familiar, functional and for the most part bug free. Then exactly one month ago today Oct 8 2013 the rug was pulled out from under our relationship. We wondered was their a virus or system failure. Upon further research we discovered many others were having the same problems with "new" yahoo mail. We searched for help via yahoo mail facebook which referred us to yahoo mail customer care facebook. No solution was in sight. Yahoo totally ignored and still ignores our complaints. Not one acknowledgement of this launch failure. Their only response has been programed bots with platitudes trying to convince us "new" is better. Since a month has passed most of us are making plans to escape to other email services. Goodby old friend yahoo. It is sad to see what you have done to your loyal clients. The conspiracy theory seems to be the only explanation that makes since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about yahoo - i am also one of the oldest fans - what a desapointment ! around 100.000 users have vote for "bring back the tabs" on the yahoo forum and yahoo answer "we are gathering feedbacks" ! how many votes do they need as feedback ?
    and in yahoo groups, it is exactly the same nothing is working, after 3 month it became a nightmare to manage a yahoo group - we ask to roll back to classic in vain !
    ay least we can dislike the new look; but yahoo must give us something working ! i do not think it's too much asking
    thanks for this report !
    Nubia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to spend this weekend filing my divorce papers with Yahoo. I have been with them since 1997 (many of those years as a paying customer) and their arrogance and disregard is quite evident towards their Mail users as well as those in Yahoo Groups and Finance. Ms. Mayer is going to run that company into the ground and I refuse to support them any longer. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments. It's nice to know that I'm not alone but that makes it even more unbelievable that Yahoo seem to be ignoring so many of us! It is a huge shame because up until recently I loved Yahoo Mail - I even used it for business when I was fully aware that I should have been using the mail account from my own domain name but I just loved Yahoo and I've stayed loyal for years and then this happened... Inexpicable... Oh well... All good things...

    ReplyDelete