Monday 2 September 2013

How I Got The Top Trending Topic on Twitter

It's the Holy Grail for Twitter users and internet marketers alike, it's so sought after some people part with their hard-earned for their sponsored piece of Social Media glory yet last Tuesday night I unwittingly set forth a hashtag that became the top trending topic on Twitter.

It all started innocently enough while I was watching The Great British Bake Off on the telly.  Fellow fans of the baking contest regularly comment on the programme using the hashtag #GBBO. 

This week's show was the bread-making challenge which has seen many a previous contestant crash and burn amidst unrisen loaves and overcooked baps.  I tweeted the following:

     

I impressed myself with my accidental bread-based movie pun so I decided to start a hashtag game.  For those who don't know, a hashtag game is a small piece of Twitter fun where puns are created based on two criteria, in this case #breadfilms - putting a spin on movie titles with a bread-based influence.  Like so…


I also used the #GBBO hashtag so other Great British Bake Off fans could see what I was doing.  Fairly soon, others were joining in.  It started slowly at first…



and then people with a larger number of followers joined in…


 Then even famous people!…



Then enough people were playing the game to bring it to the attention of The Great British Bake Off's own Twitter feed.


This game then exploded on Twitter with thousands of people playing it all over the world.  It became the top trending topic in the UK.


Then I got confirmation from Twitter cross-referencing super-computer, Trendinalia, that the trend had indeed started with my single tweet.



SUCCESS AT LAST!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment