Friday 12 July 2013

Bula Quo!

I've been a closet fan of Status Quo since the early 80s.  I've stuck with them when others have pushed them aside (looking at you Radio One).  Their music is easy and fun and they always look like they're enjoying their status as light rock/pop legends so when I heard they had made a film, Bula Quo, it was right at the top of my must-see list.  Even the tremendous savaging by the critics couldn't deter me, they were just being snobby, surely?  This is The Quo, they simply can't fail.

My partner, Julian, was less than enamoured when I told him I wanted to see it so I got him to the multiplex on the pretence of seeing Man of Steel in 3D.  I knew the promise of a CGI six-pack would do the trick.  He wasn't best pleased after the trailers and adverts had run to see the certificate for Bula Quo up on the screen but by then it was too late, Man of Steel was already 20 minutes in next door so he was now at the mercy of Messrs Rossi and Parfitt. 

The film opens with some beautiful shots of Fiji interspersed with footage of The Mighty Quo in concert performing the diehard classic Rockin' All Over The World.  This is the song that launched Live Aid in 1985, it's an iconic slice of British guitar pop and The Quo are in fine form.  I am beaming at the prospect of the next hour and a half and even Julian is beginning to tap his foot.  It's infectious.  I can relax, I've made a good decision.  The three chord refrain fades into the first scene and wooden actors begin to deliver terrible dialogue.  Oooh, no, this jars a bit.  Let's give it a bit of time...

Ten minutes in and things have gone downhill faster than Lisa Riley on a bike with no brakes.  I wince.  If I'm not enjoying it, I'm guessing Julian is hating it.  I daren't look at him but out the corner of my eye I can see that his mouth is hanging wide open with incredulity.  It really is that bad.

Twenty minutes in and things don't improve but one thing becomes very apparent.  Everyone clearly had a lot of fun making this film and that becomes very infectious.  It was silly and cringey but ultimately very enjoyable to watch.  Nobody involved in the making of this film was setting out to redefine cinema, this wasn't Citizen Kane or Festen, it was clearly a tongue-in-cheek romp in the vein of A Hard Day's Night and Spiceworld.  The script, performances and direction were all pretty average but the enthusiasm was in abundance.  It totally wins you over so when you reach the scene where they are swimming with CGI sharks or making a getaway from the mafia on a toy train, you can't help but laugh along.  In the closing musical montage, the cameras are turned and you can see the crew who worked on the film.  Everyone is laughing and why shouldn't they be?  They're making a film in Fiji!  

Status Quo have always been about fun.  Their three-chord anthems have been derided by the critics but embraced by fans who have made them one of the most successful British bands of all time.  They've always been there, they may not have been headlining Glastonbury festival but they have their place in rock aristocracy through working hard, being consistent and having the ability to laugh at themselves.  It's a lesson in longevity that we could all learn.  Let's not take everything so seriously and if we attack things enthusiastically with a smile on our faces, it's hard for others not to be enthused too.

I need to remember this when I deliver my next workshop to the accountants at Linda McCartney frozen foods.  Crikey they are one miserable bunch.  Vegetarian accountants.  There's one Christmas party that needs a bit of Quo action.

Everyone left that cinema with a smile on their face, including Julian who looked at me and said 'I'm choosing the films from now on, you loser'.  Love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment