Friday 20 December 2013

London Needs a New York State Of Mind.

I'm a patient person.  If I'm queueing for my cappuccino and I see the barista steaming ahead and trying his best to get all the lattes and paninis out as quickly as possible then I'm happy to wait.  If I have 4 people in front of me and he's mooching about like he's making his mum a cup of tea on a lazy Sunday morning then I'm mad.  I take my custom elsewhere.  The only way to get through to a company is to take your money out of their till.  If everyone did this, profits would go down and they would realise changes have to be made for the profits to go back up but as long as everyone puts up with shoddy service then the shoddy service will continue.

I endured for a long time, I'd gotten used to waiting in shops and cafes, to repeating myself to the member of staff as their English and/or confidence wasn't at the necessary level, I'd even gotten used to being served by people who could barely bring themselves to look me in the eye.  I'd basically gotten used to just putting my money in the company's coffers without so much as a thank you.  I had become conditioned to a world of corporate arrogance.

I recently went to New York City.  I promised my partner a Christmas shopping trip (a shopping trip is my worst nightmare... the things we do for love...)  New York City is BUSY.  The streets and stores are rammed.  People are bustling about laden with bags and lists.  Going into each store, I would get that familiar feeling of dread.  It was so busy, the queues were bound to be massive, the staff were going to be miserable and so was I...

The exact opposite happened, the shop staff were friendly and attentive.  We were greeted at many stores by smiling, smartly-dressed people.  Browsing the stores was a joy and the actual transaction at the till was a pleasant experience often with a conversation but ALWAYS with a 'please', 'thank you' and 'Have a nice day.'  It made a world of difference, I was happy to spend my money in that store.

Whilst eating out, we felt really looked after, nothing was too much trouble.  In London, if you ask for something as simple as a glass of water, you're lucky to get it sometimes.  In New York, if you are just stopping by for a coffee, you are made to feel welcome and you get your coffee topped up as many times as your bladder can handle.

I also had to go to a Post Office to get a money order.  I'll be honest, the local office in Greenwich Village had a pretty drab interior in serious need of a sweep and the queue was long but it was dealt with quickly and the clerk behind the counter was entirely helpful and polite and wished me a Happy Holiday.  I also had to go into a bank where I found the teller to be equally engaging.

New York City trumps London when it comes to customer service.  They are just as busy but they deal with it in a different way.  They keep the customer happy and when the customer is happy, they don't notice they have been stood in line for as long or perhaps that the three course meal was a little overpriced.   London has a lot to learn.

Why do we Brits put up with such bad service?  Is it our stiff upper lip that prevents us from making a scene?  Let's face it, it's embarrassing to speak up in a crowded restaurant or post office, even if you suspect that the thirty other people in your immediate vicinity share your point of view.  I've let a lot go in the past in fear of drawing attention to myself.

The only way we, as Londoners, are going to get better service is to speak up.  I suspect that New York gets a better standard of service because they point it out when they don't receive it.  They draw attention to the person providing the shoddy service - not themselves.  It's a different state of mind and one that Londoners need to learn.

Since my trip, I've started to speak up and I have received apologies, discounts and refunds - I have received a better standard of service.  This has given me confidence to continue complaining and I urge you all to do the same.

This blog didn't start out as a consumer blog, it evolved that way and the amount of hits it gets show that other people are interested.  Over the coming days, I will be highlighting some of my previous complaints and how the various companies responded.  Some have been outstanding, others have been beyond poor and I will be naming and shaming.  Stay tuned and do the same!  Complain, Complain, Complain!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment